[Pw_forum] "nat_todo",could anyone help me?

Martin Andersson ma at nano.ku.dk
Fri Jun 11 09:43:53 CEST 2010

Hi all,

It is certainly not meaningless to calculate only adsrobate modes for a
molecule adsorbed on a surface. I have in fact tried the same thing with
QE and failed in te same way that the phonons are not computed.

Most vibrational modes in a molecule adsorbed on a surface have a much
higher frequency than the lattice vibrations of the substrate and are thus
essentially decoupled. If one performs frequency calculations for a
molecule adsorbed on a metal cluster with another program, the internal
modes of the molecule are almost converged as soon as the local
adsorbation geometry is correct. I have also tried other plane wave
programs where this is possible, and the difference between including the
surface in the hessian is only marginal. The frustrated translational and
rotational modes are also only slightly shifted.

It is an approximation, as so many other things we do, and convergence can
be checked by successfully including more and more atoms in the hessian.

I would also very much like to be able to limit the hessian in a phonon
calculation (This is a not so subtle hint for the developers...:) )

Cheers,
Martin Andersson,
NanoGeoScience,
University of Copenhagen