[Pw_forum] strange behaviour in LDA+U calculations

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 9 21:32:35 CEST 2010

Dear Giuseppe,

it looks like

1) PW does not converge PBE+U. Only things to try are really large
smearings, and
very small mixing factors. If the smearings are large, and the mixing is
small, it should ultimately
converge, and then you can reduce the smearing. For this purpose,
fermi-dirac is probably the best
choice, with its long tails occupying empty states.

2) glad that CP converged. the PBE+U solution, be it better or worse
than PBE, leads to
dissociation of the cluster - that's why damped dynamics leads to the
cluster fragmenting, and
canonical md shows it exploding.

Nothing too unconventional - but the truth might be that these are very
difficult systems
to describe accurately in DFT - and PBE+U seems, for better or for
worse, lead to dissociation.

What is the right solution ? Impossible to say. If the clusters are
stable experimentally, at one of
the magnetizations you tried, than a dissociated solution is certainly
wrong, and one that is not
is only probably wrong.

Start from something really simple (maybe one Co at most), and compare
there PBE, PBE+U,
and quantum chemsitry (ideally MRCI) solutions. Does anything work ?

These are incredibly difficult systems to study - have also a look at
e.g. Kulik et al JCP 2008.

                nicola