[Pw_forum] problem with vc-relax

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 15:36:36 CEST 2010

Dear Olga,

I could not reproduce the error you report using different  pw.x versions.
They  finished by the error message (QE 4.2, compiler gfortran on Ubuntu 9.4 on
my laptop, serial):

      from scale_h : error #         1
     Not enough space allocated for radial FFT: try restarting with a larger
cell_factor.

Usually,   that means unreasonable lattice parameters. Say, one of them  is much
larger than expected. In fact, this turned out to be dependent on  ecutwfc and
pseudopotential type. The error persists for norm-conserving  type pseudo you
used. But using US pseudo for C, and the cutoff energy  30Ry (360 for ecutrho) ,
no  problem arises.

Besides, for Norm-conserving type pseudo for C 18Ry seems to be  extremely low.
You can play around ecutwfc, upscale and cell_factor parameters.

If you like, you can fix c-axis, do relax, and using a set of c-axis parameter
find the minimum.

Last, if you study a graphene sheet why you used 6 6 6? The correct one seems to
be 6 6 1.

Bests,
Eyvaz.
Prof. Eyvaz Isaev,
Department of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (IFM), Linkoping University,
Sweden

Theoretical Physics Department, Moscow State Institute of Steel & Alloys,
Russia,

isaev at ifm.liu.se, eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com