[Pw_forum] how does the quantum espresso scale with increasing the number of nodes.

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Thu Jul 22 09:33:28 CEST 2010

Just a personal remark: I don't think it's a good idea to test scaling of pw using a relaxation run. You may just need to perform a few iterations of the scf cycle (set electron_maxstep=5, for instance). Forces and stresses require usually less time than a complete scf loop, but you may test them after one single scf loop with a reduced threshold (e.g. conv_thr=1.D-4). No need to perform a full relaxation for testing scaling, in my opinion. It looks such a waste a cpu time...

Another suggestion is to look carefully and try to understand the timings at the end of the run. You can get an idea on which parts of the code devour more cpu time and how those scale with number of processors for your system (by looking at fft_scatter you may have an idea on how time is spent in interprocess communication for the parallel FFT, for instance). Then you have to consider the best way to scale (i.e. choose npool, ndiag, ntg, consider if it's worth using hybrid MPI/OpenMP parallelization, etc.).

HTH

GS