[Pw_forum] vc-relax time

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Tue Jul 13 13:02:15 CEST 2010

On 07/13/2010 12:49 PM, Masoud Nahali wrote:
>   Dear  Gabriele Sclauzero and pwscf Users
>    Many thanks for your attentions. The cell dimension and
> the positions of the atoms are exactly correct.

Are you completely sure? You can find as an attachment a picture (from
xcrysden) of the central graphene layer according to the positions given
in your input. You can now judge if it looks like a honeycomb lattice.

> Yes, indeed the high ecutrho is important for ultrasoft
> pseudopotentials. About the rippling : It was my mistake in selecting
> a wrong pseudopotential which has a hole. Nicola had explained it
> before and accordingly I solved it. The graphite surface is not
> ripple. When I use the "max_second=6000 and dt=150" the job completes
> very fast as the example of  pwscf. Is the using of such keyboards
> plausible?

Please spend some time reading Doc/INPUT_PW to understand the meaning of
the _keywords_. dt is used only for molecular dynamics runs, not
relaxations, while max_seconds has nothing to do with how fast your job
is completed.

GS