[Pw_forum] CVS vs. SVN

Norbert Nemec Norbert.Nemec.list at gmx.de
Sun Jan 31 09:23:45 CET 2010

Dear Stefano, dear everyone,

thanks for your open words. Your response made me aware that I probably
did not make a very good first impression as an unknown newcomer
"demanding" to change the way things are done before even making any
contribution whatsoever. I will do my best to tread a bit softer.

Please let me rephrase the issue of the CVS to SVN transition: I fully
understand that there are plenty of issues that take the attention of
very few developers and a thing like this transition is at the highest
priority. However, I do believe that structural improvements can help
exactly in that issue as they simplify the workflow and allow the
developers to spend less of their time on urgent issues and more on the
important ones. Specificially the CVS to SVN transition would have
minimal cost but significant benefit.

So, to turn my "demand" into an "offer": I volunteer to oversee the
transition and do any work that might arise. The conversion itself and
the setup of the QEforge site would have to be done by the admins, but
it should be straightforward. Scripts like cvs2cl.pl can most likely be
replaced by fairly trivial scripts if they don't become redundant
anyway. Documentation needs to be adjusted and partly rewritten. I would
put together a full list of things to do before starting anything to
make sure that I don't miss anything.

For the developers, the transion would merely mean that they commit all
their changes one evening and check out freshly with SVN the next
morning. For all the everyday commands, svn works exactly like cvs, so
the developers can continue with business-as-usual right away.

So, if I take the workload of the transition upon me, would this change
the argument?

Greetings,
Norbert