[Pw_forum] What happens at REALLY large ectuwfc?

O. Baris Malcioglu baris.malcioglu at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 11:34:38 CET 2010

Dear Brad,

Apart from what is already mentioned, another contribution to error
you are mentioning might be due to computational/numeric issues.

Run-of-the-mill FFT algorithms has  an error upperbound that goes like
O(sqrt(N)). Even in the best case (least performing) scenarios the
error upper bound is O(log(N)).

These errors are due to numeric precision employed, and mostly bound
by hardware (unless you compromise performance significantly).

In general, in any calculation that involves computers, in a graph
that shows the "error" as a function of some convergent parameter, I
would expect three regions , first the error diminishes due to
numerical reasons, then there is a flat region, then roundoff errors
begin to dominate, and error picks up again.

If interested, please have a look at the (rather rusty but still
valid) concept "Machine constant"

Best,
Baris.