[Pw_forum] Problem with nscf calc. in elongated supercell

Nicki Frank Hinsche nicvok at freenet.de
Fri Feb 26 18:47:36 CET 2010

Hi there,

I got some interesting problem troubling me for some time. I am going
to calculate huge silicon supercells, therefore I am going step by
step to larger supercells (lowering the symmetries) to check
convergencies, before I am going to calculate the heavy perturbed
system afterwards. I started with the diamond lattice (2 atoms, fcc) -
 > no problem, perfect DOS and bandstructure. Then I lowered to bct
(body centered tetragonal) with 4 atoms in the basis -> perfect,
identical (normalized) DOS and perfect bandstructure. Then I switched
to the cubic 8 atomic cell -> again everything excellent. Now I just
doubled the cell in z-direction - so lets say two 8 atomic cells in a
row -> and suddenly the DOS is awful, has no characteristics - nothing
like before. The bands are nonsense. Despite the scf calculation went
quite good (in case of wrong atomic positions for instance it would
not be like that). I guess I am making a quite big mistake, but wonder
myself whats wrong - I 've tried different k-meshs, smearings, cut-
offs and I am quite sure its something systematic what I am doing
wrong. Any idea? The Input files are attached....

thanks a lot, sorry for the long text

Nicki

SCF INPUT:

/
  &system
     ibrav= 0, celldm(1)= 10.266, nat= 16, ntyp= 1,
     ecutwfc =38.0, !smearing ='m-p', degauss =0.01
  /
  &electrons
     conv_thr =  1.0d-10
     mixing_beta = 0.25
  /
CELL_PARAMETERS {cubic}
1.0 0.0 0.0
0.0 1.0 0.0
0.0 0.0 2.0
ATOMIC_SPECIES
Si  28.086  Si.vbc.UPF
ATOMIC_POSITIONS
Si 0.00 0.00 0.00
Si 0.00 0.50 0.25
Si 0.50 0.00 0.25
Si 0.50 0.50 0.00
Si 0.25 0.25 0.125
Si 0.25 0.75 0.375
Si 0.75 0.25 0.375
Si 0.75 0.75 0.125
Si 0.00 0.00 0.50
Si 0.00 0.50 0.75
Si 0.50 0.00 0.75
Si 0.50 0.50 0.50
Si 0.25 0.25 0.625
Si 0.25 0.75 0.875
Si 0.75 0.25 0.875
Si 0.75 0.75 0.625
K_POINTS {automatic}
   12 12 6 0 0 0

NON SCF DOS CALCULATION:

  &system
     ibrav= 0, celldm(1)= 10.266, nat= 16, ntyp= 1,
     ecutwfc =38.0,nbnd=40, occupations='tetrahedra'
  /
  &electrons
     conv_thr =  1.0d-10
     mixing_beta = 0.25
  /
CELL_PARAMETERS {cubic}
1.0 0.0 0.0
0.0 1.0 0.0
0.0 0.0 2.0
ATOMIC_SPECIES
Si  28.086  Si.vbc.UPF
ATOMIC_POSITIONS
Si 0.00 0.00 0.00
Si 0.00 0.50 0.25
Si 0.50 0.00 0.25
Si 0.50 0.50 0.00
Si 0.25 0.25 0.125
Si 0.25 0.75 0.375
Si 0.75 0.25 0.375
Si 0.75 0.75 0.125
Si 0.00 0.00 0.50
Si 0.00 0.50 0.75
Si 0.50 0.00 0.75
Si 0.50 0.50 0.50
Si 0.25 0.25 0.625
Si 0.25 0.75 0.875
Si 0.75 0.25 0.875
Si 0.75 0.75 0.625
K_POINTS {automatic}
12 12 6 0 0 0

Nicki Frank Hinsche, Dipl. Phys.
Institute of physics - Theoretical physics,
Martin-Luther-University Halle-Wittenberg,
Von-Seckendorff-Platz 1, Room 1.07
D-06120 Halle/Saale, Germany
Tel.: ++49 345 5525460