[Pw_forum] cannot run the pw code

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatto at sissa.it
Wed Feb 24 21:22:33 CET 2010

Replying to message "Re: [Pw_forum] cannot run the pw code" from Elie
Moujaes (24/02/10):
> Thanks for tha answer. Well the file si.scf is in the subdirectory pw of
> directory espresso-4.1.2. I think it does not like the brackets <>
> around the file because it gives an error:

Dear Elie,
those are no brackets, but input (<) and output (>) redirectors. It is a
common syntax on many command-line interfaces, that was present even in
MS-DOS 2.0.

The following line:
   pw.x < scf.in > scf.out
means "start the command pw.x, send it the file scf.in as input, and send
its input to file scf.out".

Working on command-line based interfaces can be annoying for who's not
used to it, but it is still the only and most effective way to get some
things done (i.e. working on powerful multi-node computers).

I would advice you to skim through some "linux for beginners" guide, one
that I have found and that looks good for you is
<http://www.gb.nrao.edu/~jford/bash/bashref.html>. Furthermore, if you
have the possibility to follow some introductory course to linux in you
institution, that would help immensely.

best regards

--
Lorenzo Paulatto