[Pw_forum] questions about lda+u calculation

Matteo Cococcioni matteo at umn.edu
Wed Feb 17 16:07:28 CET 2010

Hi Maxim,

equivalent atoms are those whose coordinates are related by symmetry
operations. so they occupy
crystallographically equivalent positions.
In a supercell (as the one we use to construct the response matrix and
to compute U) you may have
more than one equivalent atom. Of course they would give exactly the
same response to the perturbation so you
only need to perturb one of them. Still to construct the matrix you need
to be able to recognize which atom is
equivalent to which and attribute the same response.

so in few words, this is done to save computational time. which is
always good.

Matteo