[Pw_forum] vc-relax versus scf calculations on various cells

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Sat Feb 13 08:45:36 CET 2010

Dear Trinh Vo,
     this has been explained a number of times in this forum.
     The way stress is calculated assumes that the number on plane
waves  does not change  during the deformation.
     This is NOT what you are doing when calculating energy vs alat
curves at fixed CUTOFF ... which explains the difference between the two
results.
     Stress converges slowly with cutoff. To be reliable calculations
involving stress should use higher cutoff than usual.

     Have a look at the attached slides that try to clarify the issue.
     These were presented in a Summer School in Santa Barbara in 2009
whose material can be accessed at
     http://media.quantum-espresso.org/santa_barbara_2009_07/index.php

  best
   stefano