[Pw_forum] Excess of "Modules" references in the Makefiles

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at democritos.it
Sat Feb 6 21:03:29 CET 2010

On Feb 6, 2010, at 17:52 , Riccardo

> I would suggest to turn the Modules objects into a static library (as
> for the libpw.a library), and link all applications against it instead

good suggestion, but it was already tried, several years ago, and
at least one compiler didn't like it. It took several attempts before
converging to a satisfactory installation mechanism that was
working on even the most exotic machines.

Maybe it is no longer a problem: a lot of hardware that used to be
important in scientific computing (dec alpha, cray, sgi, hp, ...)
either no longer exists or it has  moved to "standard", so to speak,
hardware and software. So, it is worth to try again, but it has to be
tried for:
- ifort
- pgi
- gfortran
- g95
- xlf (including bluegene machines)
- ftn (cray)
- nec sx* machines
- sun machines
- any more important case I have forgotten.

P.
---
Paolo Giannozzi, Dept of Physics, University of Udine
via delle Scienze 208, 33100 Udine, Italy
Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222