[Pw_forum] Inconsistent behaviour of check_stop_init

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatto at sissa.it
Fri Feb 5 12:56:13 CET 2010

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 12:33:33 +0100, Riccardo Di Meo <dimeo at democritos.it>
wrote:
> it is particularly annoying when the code is to be
> inserted in an automated script (e.g. for the execution within a portal).

Hi Riccardo,
I think your solution (a) is more consistent, however it is not up to me
to decide. If you are interested, a few months ago, I used the
long-abandoned-but-still-working posix90 library to implement signal
handling in a private version of QE. This allowed for a "clean" stop of
the code (i.e. at the next save point) by simply sending a signal to the
program; something like pkill -USR1 pw.x or even pressing CTRL-C if
running interactively.

My primary aim was to avoid the use of max_seconds (which I always forget
to set properly) configuring instead the queue system to send a SIGTERM a
few minutes before the time is up. Unluckily signal handling does not go
along very well with mpi, so I've never committed the changes, but I
should still have a working copy somewhere, if anybody is interested.

regards

--
Lorenzo Paulatto

*** Note: my affiliation has changed! please send future
correspondence to: <Lorenzo.Paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr> ***

post-doc @ IMPMC/UPMC - Université Paris 6
phone: +33 (0)1 44 27 74 89
www:   http://www-int.impmc.upmc.fr/~paulatto/