[Pw_forum] how does the calculation scales with number of processors

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Fri Dec 24 11:20:34 CET 2010

It strongly depends on the particular calculation and on the
parallelization strategy you choose. Linear scaling would be the ideal
scaling which you never get.
The things to keep in mind are  load balancing  and  communication
overhead. This last is affected by your communication network latency
and  bandwidth ... As a general rule the bigger the calculation the
easier is to scale.
It may be useful to have a look at the final timing summary of a
calculation to see the fraction of time spent in communication (FFT
scatter/gather and reduce operations) compared with the total wall clock
time for your system and how this changes for different settings.
Another factor to keep in mind is RAM memory as with certain
parallelization strategies you can trade some speed with increased memory.

stefano