[Pw_forum] Wall time vs. CPU time

Vo, Trinh (388C) Trinh.Vo at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Aug 28 20:14:56 CEST 2010

Dear PWSCF users,

For all my jobs, the wall time is usually significantly larger than the CPU time.  Especially the larger the job, the larger the difference.  For example, for a large  job run for a system of 824 electrons, I  have

1d   15h58m CPU time,        2d    7h44m wall time

I am using QE-4.1.2 and run on 40CPUs (each CPU has 3 tasks).  Linux x86_64, and Intel Compiler 10.1.015.

I don’t know what are the possible reasons that causes this delay.  What factors I should look at to fix this problem.

Thank you very much,

Trinh Vo
CalTech
Jet Propulsion Lab