[Pw_forum] ambiguous results with vc-relax

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Tue Aug 17 22:46:44 CEST 2010

please note that the two outputs that you submitted ARE NOT examples of
vc-relaxation but of structural relaxation of the internal coordinates
only. Your question is anyway legittimate...
Are you sure to have converged the total energy of your system with
respect to cutoff to a sufficient level ?
when comparing  different volumes one is using different basis sets in
the two cases. If convergence w.r.t. cutoff is not sufficient this  can
lead to sudden decreases of the energy when increasing the volume.

stefano
SISSA and DEMOCRITOS