[Pw_forum] FM and AFM calculations

Matteo Cococcioni matteo at umn.edu
Sun Aug 15 22:41:24 CEST 2010

Dear Padmaja,

starting_magnetization =/= 0 is used by th code to break the symmetry
between spin up and spin down and to "realize" there is
a magnetic solution of some kind. Of course, if you treat as magnetiic a
system that is not and you also provide a non zero
starting_magnetization, the code should still converge to a ground state
with zero magnetization (both total and absolute) i.e. with an equal number
of up and don electrons. Try with bulk Si.
In principle, once you give a finite, non zero magnetization on some atoms,
if the system has a magnetic ground state (either FM or AFM or any other
kind) the code should be able to find it. Some systems, however, have FM,
and various AFM local minima of the energy (metastable states) in which it
gets trapped depending on the magnetization pattern suggested in the input
through starting_magnetization. That's why it is sometimes important that
you try few different solutions.

the sign of magnetization doesn't matter. please keep in mind that in the
simplest LSDA or s-GGA functionals the spin of electrons is a scalar with
two possible values and no relationship with the lattice. if you want to
study more complex magnetization states
you have to use non-collinear functionals (where spin is a vector and
electronic wavefunction are spinors) and possibly
spin-orbit interactions.

Regards,

Matteo