[Pw_forum] DOS calculation with an Extra electron on a given atom

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 01:04:57 CEST 2010

Dear Nand,

>I have been doing DFT calculations on a GaAs supercell with a  substitutional
>Mn.I would like to find the >acceptor(and Doner) energy of  Mn atom

I suppose, you should read a textbook, say, R.Martin's Electronic Structure:
Basic Theory and Practical Methods; review paper by Payne et al.RevModPhys, 64,
1045; textbook by Kohanoff, Electronic structure calculations for solids and
molecules, Ashcroft-Mermin's textbook, and there are many many  good textbooks
on solid state physics, please do search in your University library) before
doing such kind non-trivial calculations.

>acceptor(and Doner) energy of  Mn atom

"Doner" is absolutely different thing (in fact, it is  Turkish fast-food), but
you mean "donor", obviously.

> I could not figure out how to do the DOS and PDOS calculations with an extra
>electron on (or an >electron removed from) the  Mn atom.

Well, this one can be done with tot_charge or nelec  parameters in scf file.
See  INPUT_PW.txt  file in /DOC. Then do DOS and PDOS calculations, and compare
with ideal GaAs results (bands structure, DOS and PDOS).  You will see a
difference.

>I would like to learn how the removal of an electron from a supercell  of 17
>atoms (with one Mn at the >centre) would solve my purpose of  finding the
>(doner)energy.

Sorry, this is unclear. What is "donor energy"?  I would recommend  also reading
a textbook (or a chapter) with describing semiconductors properties.

> Is it that the hole will get localised on Mn.

Nobody can tell you about that as in DFT you can not put  a charged position in
your input file. If you remove/add electrons, then other electrons will be
redistributed during SCF calculations. An excess/deficiency of electrons  leads
to uncompensated  Columb interaction. In order to avoid this (i.e. to make a
system be neutral) a compensating jellium charge is automatically added by the
program. So, you should not take care about this.

Rather, you should take care about interpreting of  input data and results.

You can see atomic charges  as a result of  PDOS  calculations and find whether
there is a charge excess/depletion on atoms.

>Secondly,  what is the "compensating gellium" (mentioned in input_PW.HTML doc)to
>remove the >divergence and how is this incerted.

See above.

>Your help is highly  appriciated.

Reading any good solid state textbook is also appreciated.

Bests,
Eyvaz.
Prof. Eyvaz Isaev,
Department of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (IFM), Linkoping University,
Sweden

Theoretical Physics Department, Moscow State Institute of Steel & Alloys,
Russia,

isaev at ifm.liu.se, eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com