[Pw_forum] bands calculation

udayagiri sai babu udayagiri3 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 06:38:51 CEST 2010

Dear all i am calculating electronic band structure of LaoFeP
superconductor. I have two questions regarding this.
As I have understood from the example01, I need to perform an "scf"
calculation followed by "bands" calculation.
My question is
1) Why cant we do bands calculation alone, as all we need is energy eigen
values at different k_points for all available bands. This can be done by
solving Kohn-Sham equations at those k points for all bands.
2) what data from scf calculation is used by bands calculation.

3)when I did scf calculation for the following input file fermienergy is not
written in the output file. can somebody tell me if something is wrong?

&control
calculation ='scf'
restart_mode='from_scratch',
outdir='/home/sai/laofep/',
prefix='laofep'
pseudo_dir='/home/sai/softwares/espresso-4.1.2/pseudo'
/
&system
ibrav=0,
celldm(1)=7.487,