[Pw_forum] Computer Server Configurations

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Tue Apr 13 14:52:31 CEST 2010

Izaak Williamson wrote:
> I am trying to buy a computer server and have to decide between the
> following two configurations:
>
> configuration   L2 cache            Main Memory
> A                      6MBx2               64GB
> B                      12MBx2              48GB
> Both cost the same amount.
> Question: which one will be the best to buy?

If everything else is the same, I would buy the second.
Cache memory is integrated in the chip or motherboard and are more difficult/expensive to
upgrade, while the main memory should be easier (and the cost of a memory bank is going to
decrease with time, for sure).
Then, it depends on your applications, since you may actually need that much RAM or not.

GS

> Izaak Williamson

Plz., append affiliation. Thanks.