[Pw_forum] regarding bulk modulus

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at democritos.it
Sat Apr 10 18:27:14 CEST 2010

On Apr 10, 2010, at 10:22 , Shyam Khambholja wrote:

> I have performed total energy calculation for Al as a function of
> lattice parameter.
> then i fit those data to murnaghan equation of state and got bulk
> modulus. when i
> use method of hydrostatic strain and got bulk modulus, it is much
> smaller than the
> one obtained by fitting E-a curve to murnaghan eos. So, which one
> is more reliable,
> since, bulk modulus obtained by fitting to mur. eos is quite near
> to experimental data.
> and which one should be used to determine other elastic stiffness
> constant ?

this is one of the first thing anybody involved in calculations in
solids should know.
Fitting to an equation of state converges more quickly with the plane-
wave basis set.
If however you find large differences between the various methods,
either you did
something wrong, or you are very fare from convergence wrt PW

P.
---
Paolo Giannozzi, Dept of Physics, University of Udine
via delle Scienze 208, 33100 Udine, Italy
Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222