[Pw_forum] how to determine the value of U in a lda+U calculation

Matteo Cococcioni matteo at umn.edu
Mon Apr 5 15:48:59 CEST 2010

Dear Du,

the input you found below is to extract the U values from a series of
scf calculations.
You can give a look (besides the reference cited below) to the tutorials
you find in this webpage:
http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wiki/index.php/QESB09.
Unfrtunately the value of U is generally not portable and changes
depending on the invironment of the atom in the
specific crystal you are considering. the one you cite is a good
example: Fe in bulk Fe and in FeO.
So in principles we need to recompute it each time.

hope this helps.

Matteo