[Pw_forum] LDA+U in md calculations

Matteo Cococcioni matteo at umn.edu
Fri Apr 2 18:56:46 CEST 2010

Dear Jiayu,

are you talking about Car-Parrinello MD or Born-Oppenheimer MD (run with
pwscf)?
In any case lda+U MD is implemented in the sense that the code computes
the forces and the stress
as derivatives of  the lda+U energy functional. However it is not able
to account for the variation
of U with atomic position or with the cell. So it is a dynamics at fixed U.
To account for this variation one would need to evaluate dU/dR or
dU/d\epsilon (R and \epsilon being atomic
positions and strains). Some work in this direction has been recently
done (not sure it's
published yet) by Kulik and Marzari.
If the structure you are interested in doesn't change dramatically
during the MD run I would expect
that keeping the same U is not too bad. but this is just my guess.

regards,

Matteo