[Pw_forum] About NMR calculations for metallic system.

Serguei Patchkovskii ps at ned.sims.nrc.ca
Tue Sep 29 17:23:05 CEST 2009

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Davide Ceresoli wrote:
> > 3) lastly, Is it possible to calculate the NMR shift for the
> > paramagnetic system using PWSCF?
> >     (maybe, spin-polarized calculations for the NMR shift.)
> The GIPAW code (which does linear response), should work
> also for spin polarized systems (magnetic insulators).
> I've never tried though...

Unlike NMR chemical shifts of closed-shell systems, chemical shift
in paramagnetic species is a statistical (rather than a response)
property. Generally speaking, you need to know all spin-Hamiltonian
parameters to calculate it - the shielding tensor, the hyperfine tensor,
the g-tensor, and (if you radical sites are of a spin higher than
1/2) the zero-field splitting parameters. You may also need to know
the spin-spin and spin-lattice relaxation times, or at least have
an idea as to their magnitude relative to the NMR time scale.

You'll get a better idea of what's involved in such calculation
from our (by now slightly dated, but still basically OK) review:

S. Moon and S. Patchkovskii, "First-Principles Calculations of
Paramagnetic NMR Shifts", pp. 325-338, in M. Kaupp, M. Buehl,
and V.G. Malkin (eds), "Calculation of NMR and EPR Parameters",
Wiley-VCH, 2004.

For the simplest possible case (isolates spin-1/2 paramagnetic
centres, relaxing rapidly on the NMR time scale) you may be able
to get everything you need from GIPAW - but a fair bit of a bit
of coaxing and head-scratching is likely to be involved ...

Have fun,

Serguei

---
Dr. Serguei Patchkovskii

Tel: +1-(613)-990-0945
Fax: +1-(613)-947-2838
Skype: Serguei.Patchkovskii
E-mail: Serguei.Patchkovskii at nrc.ca

Coordinator of Modelling Software
Theory and Computation Group
Steacie Institute for Molecular Sciences
National Research Council Canada
Room 2011, 100 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0R6 Canada