[Pw_forum] workfunction and efield

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Wed Sep 16 15:41:33 CEST 2009

On Sep 16, 2009, at 3:17 PM, 程迎春 wrote:

> Thank you for your reply.
> Recently I have read a paper published in Nano letters titled
> "Tuning the Graphene work function by electric field effect"(http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/nl901572a
> ).  The main conclusion is that the work function of graphene can be
> adjusted as the gate voltage tunes the Fermi level across the charge
> neutrality point.  The tunable work function makes graphene an
> attractive material for low contact barrier electrodes.  Motivated
> by this attractive application, I tried to calculate the work
> function under external electric field.
>
> Before the calculation, I firstly tried to understand the definition
> of the work function and how it is calculated in Pwscf package.  The
> literature (J. Phys.: condens. Matter 11(1999) 2689-2696) mentioned
> in the description of the workFct_example directory shows the
> macroscopic-average method to the calculation of work functions.
> The work function is the minimum energy required to extract one
> electron to an infinite distance form the surface

which equals plus or minus infinity, in the presence of an applied
electric field ...

> and its value is equivalent to the mean electrostatic potential
> energy across the metal surface  minus the Fermi energy.

Efermi - average potential far from the surgace
the average potential far from the surface does not approach a
constant in the presence of an electric field, so you have to
understand exactly what the experimentalists measure,
when you are done, I would be pleased to learn that ...

> And thus the question whether electric field can reflect the Fermi
> level of a certain material surface arises.

the above statement is beyond my understanding capabilities ...

> The example31 shows how to perform electronic structure calculations
> using pwscf package for a system undergoing the presence of a static
> homogeneous finite electric field.  As a test, I firstly calculated
> the work function of graphene at zero external electric field and
> the calculated value is consistent with the previous published
> paper(PRL_94_236602) and the experimental result.  Secondly, I
> calculated the work function at finit external electric field, and
> then I use the pp.x and average.x to get the work function as at the
> zero external efield.  It seems that the calculated work function
> value is different from that under zero external efield.  But I
> don't know whether the calculated work function value is reasonable.
>
> My questions are as follows:
> 1) Whether the work function would be changed under a finite
> external efield?

this question does not have an answer until one understand what is
meant by "work function in a finite field" (the usual definition does
not apply)

> 2) Can I use the method calculating work function under zero efield
> to calculate work function under finite efield?

NO, because of the above: the electrostatic potential does not tend to
a cosnatant far from the surface

> 3) Can the plot number 11 in pp.x package deal with the potential
> under finite efield?

no idea whatsoever

SB

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
http://stefano.baroni.me [+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) /
stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
de la pensée - Jean Piaget