[Pw_forum] Are Lowdin charge populations reliable ?

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Tue Sep 15 13:33:08 CEST 2009

As any atom-in-solid charge partitioning Lowdin method is somehow
arbitrary, and gives only semi-quantitative trends.
Variations of just fractions of % are insignificant while variations of
several % are more reliable..
just apply common sense and do not over-emphasizes small details.
Notice also that due to incompleteness of the atomic-orbital basis-set
used in the decomposition the number of electrons in the PDOS does not
equals exactly the total number of electrons in the system.

Hope this helps,
stefano de Gironcoli - SISSA and DEMOCRITOS