[Pw_forum] Pw_forum Digest, Vol 27, Issue 47

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatto at sissa.it
Fri Sep 11 15:30:08 CEST 2009

In data 11 settembre 2009 alle ore 15:23:39, Shaptrishi Sharma
<sh.shapt at gmail.com> ha scritto:
> My nband value is 122 as my total number of atoms are 66 .of which 21
> Hydrogen.And if I remove the option nelup and neldw, I got it as "too
> many bands are not converged" thus I increased my vaccum, however it
> still
> remains the same.

Dear Shaptrishi,
 from the file Doc/INPUT_PW.txt

    Variable:       nelec

    Type:           REAL
    Default:        the same as ionic charge (neutral cell)
                    (may be noninteger if you wish)

as you see, nelec is the total number of electrons, not only the ones from
hydrogen. Accordingly, a few lines later you should have found:

    Variables:      nelup, neldw

    Type:           REAL
                    Note that this fixes the final value of the
magnetization.
                    The sum must yield nelec that must also be specified
                    explicitly in this case. Not valid for spin-unpolarized
                    or noncollinear calculations, only for LSDA.
Obsolescent:
                    use multiplicity or tot_magnetization instead.

it says quite clearly that nelec=nelup+neldw, again nelec is the total
number of electrons.

best regards

--
Lorenzo Paulatto