[Pw_forum] O.pw91-van_ak.UPF oxygen pseudopotential

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Sat Sep 5 16:35:51 CEST 2009

Dear Bertran,

others more conversant with the UPF format might answer better
(http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wiki/index.php/Unified_pseudopotential_format)
but I suspect that a large Rcut means just that the ultrasoft pseudo was
not generated
starting from a norm-conserving pseudo, but directly from an
all-electron calculation,
and the principal quantum number is exactly what it says - i.e. the
principal quantum
number (of the all electron calculation).

Note that we found some oddities with the oxygen pseudopotential
generated from
David Vanderbilt's published table - we put a comment in the PBE version
of it:
http://quantum-espresso.org/pseudo/upfdetails.php?upf=O.pbe-van_bm.UPF

The Bernd Meyer version above seems to have a smaller cutoff radius than the
version converted by Axel (ak); still, I would be extra careful before
using this, and
consider instead the rrkj PBE pseudo of Andrea Dal Corso.

I'd actually suggest to remove the O.pbe-van_bm.UPF from the pseudo
table, alhough
not sure what to do on the pw91-van_ak .

                nicola