[Pw_forum] Charge ordering with QE

Mulazzi Mattia mulazzi at spring8.or.jp
Wed Oct 28 02:09:42 CET 2009

Dear QE community,
I am currently studying charge-density wave ordered materials form the
theoretical point of view. In my system, VS2, the Vanadium planes
order in an hexagonal 2D lattice and are sandwiched by two Sulfur
planes. As a basic approach, an hexagonal unit cell with one V and two
S atoms produces a band structure that is in fair agreement with the
experimental data and is consistent with other all-electron
calculations. But both theoretically and experimentally there are
hints that the system is orbital-ordered, i.e. that the d electrons on
the Vanadium sites occupy orbitals of different symmetry on different
Vanadium sites.
In order to calculate the electronic structure of an orbitally-ordered
system I think I have to use a supercell and specify different
occupation numbers for the different Vanadium sites. The problem is
that I don't know how to do that. I tried specifying the
starting_ns_eigenvalue variable on different sites, but the converged
calculation is identical to the calculation with
starting_ns_eigenvalue left unspecified. In the INPUT_PW it is written
that the occupation matrices can be specified only when the LDA+U
scheme is used.
However, I cannot use the LDA+U on my system (Mac OS X 10.5.6) because
every time I use the Vanadium pseudopotential (either the one I
generated, ether the one on the QE database) I find a "segmentation
fault" that I  cannot solve. BTW, the segmentation fault error does
not appear for Co or Fe or Ni pseudopotentials.

Thanks everybody for the help,

     Mattia Mulazzi

FPR Fellow of RIKEN at Spring8
Excitation Order Research Team