[Pw_forum] How dose the restart work?

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Thu Oct 22 11:26:17 CEST 2009

Dear Pieremanuele

Pieremanuele Canepa wrote:
> Dear all ,
> my question for today is: How does the restart work in PWscf when in a
> vc-relax job?
> Once activated the restart, as restart_mode = 'restart', in the
> control section, will PWscf read either the last wave function and the
> last geometry or just the last density?

I don't know much about specificity of vc-relax, but in general when restarting pwscf the
atomic configuration will be read from file (see in prefix.save/data_file.xml) as well as
the wavefuntions and charge density from the last iteration of the previous run (if the
files are availalable).
If using wfc_extrapolation and pot_extrapolation, perhaps also older wfcs and older rho
from previous run will be read from file.

> Would it possible to restart a job from the previous geometry instead
> of the the wave function?

You can avoid the wavefunction to be read specifying startingwfc='atomic' (or simply
removing/renaming the file). The code will use a superposition of atomic wavefunctions to
build the initial guess (as for the first iteration of a run "from_scratch"), but this
will require more time to perform the first iteration of the scf cycle.

> Can I do both of them?

Both what?

HTH

GS