[Pw_forum] energy-degenerate states with different irrep labels

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Mon Oct 12 09:37:30 CEST 2009

Dear Silvia,

Silvia Bakalova wrote:
> Thank you for the reply, Gabriele.
> Yes, this is @Gamma, the states are degenerate, but I wonder why they
> have different irreducible representations (G_5+ and G_6+)?

Because they actually belong to different representations of the double group...

Andrea and me some time ago kind of understood why in presence of time-reversal there are
couples of bands which can be matched, in the sense that they are degenerate not in the
usual sense, but in the following.
For each k, if there is an eigenvalue e_{k,v} belonging to a band v of, say, G_5 symmetry,
there must be at -k an eigenvalue e_{-k,v'} with the same magnitude belonging to the
matching band v' of, say, G_6 symmetry (and viceversa).

We checked this for the double group C_{2v}, which was the one of our case study. Please
have a look at the band structure here
http://people.sissa.it/sclauzer/Data/COsu7PtFR_G3G4.pdf

You probably will understand better what I was saying above.
Since at Gamma k=-k, the bands must be degenerate there (in the usual sense). I never
checked what happens with other double groups, but you may confirm (or not) that the
situation is the same. The demonstration of such property of the bands structure in
presence of time reversal can be found in this book (I don't remember the page, I don't
have it at hand now):

Bassani F.; Pastori Parravicini G. (1975). Electronic states and optical transitions
in solids. Pergamon Press, Oxford.

HTH

GS

--

| Gabriele Sclauzero, PhD Student                  |