[Pw_forum] Relaxation of low symmetry lattices

Duy Le ttduyle at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 08:55:29 CEST 2009

Is your question "Why do you get non-zero force for this fcc system with
your given Cell_parameters and Atomic_positions?"

If you have a perfect fcc Cu structure, you should get 0 force. I think
there are some numerical errors, it likes <<<2*0.5*6.81650937063832
.NE.6.81650937063832>>>. This kind of error "moves" the atoms off their
ideal positions. I guess if you use crystal coordinate instead of Cartesian
coordinate, you will get 0 force.

It's just my humble thought, I don't know for sure how pwscf read and
process your coordinates.

Duy Le
PhD Student
Department of Physics