[Pw_forum] scf calculation of isolated atom

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Tue Oct 6 14:21:23 CEST 2009

Dear Saibabu,

udayagiri sai babu wrote:
> Dear all
> I am performing a scf cacultion of Cr isolated atom. Below is my input
> file. I got an error saying *"strange occupations:number of electrons
> from occupations is wrong"*. I undestood like my occupation card is not
> matching with my "nbnd" value but i could not correct it can somebody
> give me some suggestion.

I tried your input file with the CVS version of QE and it works fine. It seems that the
piece of code parsing the OCCUPATIONS input card has been rewritten in version 4.1. Please
upgrade your code to the newest version and report to the forum if you find any problem.
Thanks.

> 2) Can i write occupations card for chromium as
> 1      1 1 1 1 1
> 1      0 0 0 0 0
> 4s1  3d5.

Not like this, but the way you wrote them in the input file below is OK. You must specify
as many rows as nspin and, for each row, as many occupation factors as nbnd.

> 3) usually what should be the nbnd value?

For non-magnetic insulators it can be as low as nelec/2, while in this case you need to
specify a higher value since your spin population is unbalanced (the code does not allow a
different number of spin-up bands and spin-down bands).

Cheers

GS