[Pw_forum] IR

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Tue Oct 6 08:53:30 CEST 2009

Hi.
Would you be so kind as to sign your posts, with your name and
academic affiliation?
MD conserves energy. It is natural that the temperature fluctuates. I
am not an expert in MD, but I would also say that in order to
calculate dynamical properties (such as the time correlations needed
to get the IR spectrum) it is not a good idea to rescale the
temperature, as "ion_temperature = 'rescaling' " seems to imply.
Finally, it does not seem to me a great idea either to use MD to
calculate the IR spectrum of MgO at such a low temperature. Even when
when you'll have learnt all the tricks of MD, I would expect the
dynamics to be very harmonic, and hence not ergodic, thus requiring
long (and difficult to estimate) equilibration times.
Why not using standard lattice dynamics? (vibrational frequencies +
effective charges, both calculated bu "phonon").
Stefano Baroni