[Pw_forum] openmpi 1.3.3

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at democritos.it
Mon Oct 5 16:40:30 CEST 2009

Carlo Nervi wrote:

> I think I have something wrong in my make.sys file.

I think you have something wrong in your MPI libraries.
Just in case, try the stable version of QE as well (for
the very unlikely event that some recent change in the
cvs version broke something in the parallelization)

> First I was trying to use fftw3xf_intel libs, but ... are they
> incompatible with MPI?

no, they aren't

> ./configure CC=icc F77=ifort F90=ifort  FC=ifort CPP=icpc FFLAGS=-xHost
> FCFLAGS=-xHost CFLAGS=-xHost CPPFLAGS=-xHost

if you have a properly installed system, you should use "./configure"
and nothing else

> As far as i understood only the -openmp should be passed to the linker.
> And only in the case I'd like to use OpenMP I should use the -openmp
> directive for ifort compiler. Is it?

it is.

> I tryed also to use "-lmkl_intel_lp64 -lmkl_sequential -lmkl_core"
> instead of "-lmkl_em64t": no success...

how to link the non-openMP version of MKL should be explained in the
documentation of MKL. In any case, linking "plain vanilla" MKL and
using it together with MPI is perfectly fine, as long as you do not
try to use multithreading.

Anyway: QE compiles without any external library apart MPI.
Compile it without anything apart MPI and see what happens

Paolo