[Pw_forum] a question about magnetization

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Mon Nov 30 10:13:18 CET 2009

Dear Mohsen Modaresi (and Stefano),

Stefano Baroni wrote:
> If what you want is different from what Mother Nature wants (or, rather
> from the caricature of Mother Nature's willings given by DFT/GGA/etc.)
> the only way is to use magnetic constraints. They used to be
> implemented. Don't know what the current situation of the implemenattion
> is. You can try without constraints to start with ... SB

I can confirm that they are still implemented, though I never explored the functionality
of all the possible magnetic constraints.
The costraints are implemented by adding a "penalty" magnetic field (see appendix of the
PhD thesis of Gabriele Cipriani, downloadable from http://www.sissa.it/cm/phd.php), which
means that you have to chose a parameter lambda to which the penalty energy is proportional.
When you are exactly at the target magnetization the penalty energy (and field) are zero,
so that the resulting total energy should not depend on lambda.
choosing lambda may be tricky: if it is too small the final magnetization may be far from
the target one. If too big, the scf cycle might not converge.

If you want to experiment this method on your system please search for
"constrained_magnetization" in Doc/INPUT_PW.txt and have a look to PW/add_bfield.f90.

HTH

GS