[Pw_forum] A problem about Ex.12

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Mon Nov 30 09:55:27 CET 2009

Dear mohsen modaresi,

Stefano de Gironcoli wrote:
> Dear mohsen modaresi
>
>  you can describe an fcc crystal in an FCC bravais lattice with one atom
> per cell or in a Simple Cubic cell with 4 atoms per cell or in a
> tetragonal cell with 2 atoms per cell or in many other  equivalent ways.
> Why it is done using tetragonal lattice in that particular  example I
> don't know but it may  be due  to  the need of  using some particular
> orientation or orthonormal  Bravais vectors or some other reason.

What Stefano says is true. In that specific example, a tetragonal superell has been used
in order to postprocess the charge density with pwcond.x and obtain the complex band
structure of FCC Al along the (001) direction, as it is written in the README file which
explains the example.
Since the pwcond code is built such that the transport direction has to be along z, you
have to rotate your crystal according to the real desired transport direction.
Also notice that the basal plane of the supercell has to be orthogonal to this direction.

HTH

GS