[Pw_forum] A problem about Ex.12

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Thu Nov 26 16:26:42 CET 2009

Dear mohsen modaresi

 you can describe an fcc crystal in an FCC bravais lattice with one atom
per cell or in a Simple Cubic cell with 4 atoms per cell or in a
tetragonal cell with 2 atoms per cell or in many other  equivalent ways.
Why it is done using tetragonal lattice in that particular  example I
don't know but it may  be due  to  the need of  using some particular
orientation or orthonormal  Bravais vectors or some other reason.
Hope this helps,

stefano.