[Pw_forum] dedicated wfcdir for PWCOND

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Thu Nov 19 18:20:19 CET 2009

J. D. Burton wrote:
> Dear Gabriele,
>
>>> Thanks for the info. I obviously knew the energy-dependent wavefunctions
>>> calculated in PWCOND are different from the Bloch eigenvectors generated
> by
>>> the periodic pw.x.
>
>> Not necessarily. I think that the propagating Bloch waves (i.e. those at
> real k vector)
>> computed in the leads should coincide with those from pw.x, while the
> evanescent states
>> are not present in pw.x due to PBCs along z, obviously.
>
> Let me rephrase: The wavefunctions generated by pw.x are, in general,
> fundamentally useless for the PWCOND calculation because they are only
> generated on a comparatively sparse k-mesh for self-consistency, whereas
> PWCOND uses the propagating modes (i.e. complex kz values, etc) of the leads
> at a given input energy (which in general is not on the list of eigenvalues
> found in pw.x) on a much more dense mesh of k_perp points.

That's right. The convergence of total energy can be different from that of the
transmission. Anyway, from my experience, it is not always said that the k_perp grid
needed to converge the transmission has to be more dense than that needed for the total
energy. Actually it depends on the features of the band structure next to the target
scattering energy (see PRB 72, 033401 (2005) or appendix of PRB 74, 165416 (2006) for
instance).

HTH

GS