[Pw_forum] Cannot run parallel jobs with openmpi

Jiaye Li jameslipd at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 03:24:13 CET 2009

Dear users

I installed q-espresso 4.1.1, mpich2-1.2 and openmpi-1.3.3 on a single cpu
PC. I tested some jobs with mpich2, which works successfully. But I met with
some problems with openmpi runs. For example, when I type "mpirun -np 4 pw.x
<input >output", only one-qaurter of the cpu(25%) is taken up. In fact, when
I used mpich2, 100% cpu was taken up. The openmpi should be installed
correctly, because there is no error reported upon compilation and the test
of vasp run with openmpi takes up 100% cpu (four processes).

I am wondering if openmpi is compatible with pwscf?

--
Sincerely yours

Jiaye Li