[Pw_forum] How to set ecutwfc and ecutrho

xirainbow nkxirainbow at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 09:38:26 CET 2009

Dear Li:

I am curious about the calculation speed related to "ecutwfc" and "ecutrho".
> As indicated in the tutorial, ecutwfc represents the energy cutoff (Ry) and
> ecutrho refers to kinetic energy cutoff for charge density and potential. I
> cannot fully understand the meaning of that brief description.

If you use Norm-concerving PP, you can just omit the parameter "ecutrho".
If you use Ultra-soft PP, you must set "ecutrho" as (8~12)X"ecutwfc".
You will fully understand the "ecutrho" after reading some paper about
Ultra-soft PP:)  (For example:PRB, 41 7892)

> From my experience (vasp), the larger the energy cutoff, the slower the
> calculation would be, but more accurate.

Yes, it is true for PWscf, too.

I just would like to know how to set the experience values of the two flags
> for the case of metal bulk (and surface) and metal oxide bulk (and surface)?
> Thank you.

I think,  the value is different with different kind of  metal.
You can take a convergence test to get proper "ecutrho" and "ecutwfc" :)