[Pw_forum] deguss

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Fri May 29 09:03:10 CEST 2009

Nicola Marzari wrote:
> yaldaa kh wrote:
>
>> dear all
>> 1) why does the total energy (Escf ) decrease with increase of the
>> deguss value in smearing technique?
>> 2) How can I choose a good value (the best choise) for deguss?
>>
>> thanks a lot
>> yalda
>> student (chemistry)
>>

> 1) It shouldn't for standard smearings (e.g. Fermi-Dirac, gaussian).
> E-TS decreases. For m-p, m-v, we cannot say.

In PWscf in case of smearing the total energy is the variational
quantity and contains an entropy-like term (-TS contibution).
In case one is using  Fermi-Dirac smearing this variational quantity is
the electronic free-energy, for other smearing it is an auxiliary
quantity analogue to that but with no relationship with electronic free
energy.
As Nicola says, for FD and Gaussian smearing "E-TS" (that is total
energy in PWscf)  decreases  with increasing T (smearing).
for other smearing type we cannot say.

Stefano de Gironcoli - SISSA and DEMOCRITOS