[Pw_forum] Fermi energy

Andrea Ferretti ferretti at MIT.EDU
Thu May 28 21:44:45 CEST 2009

Dear Yang,

The computed fermi energy depends on the adopted kpt grid.
Fermi energy is computed in scf runs (assuming occupations are not
"fixed") and re-computed in nscf runs and differences can arise due to
differences in the scf and nscf kpt meshes...

Note that nscf calculations are meant to deal with summations over
the Brillouin zone, which means that kpts and their weight must be
chosen accordingly.
if instead you want eg to compute quantities at specific kpoints
(a typical example is the band structure), your kpt summations might lose
a lot of accuracy and the estimation of the fermi energy along with that
(in this case use calculation="bands" instead)

hope it helps
andrea

--
Andrea Ferretti
MIT, Dept Material Science & Engineering

Please, if possible, don't send me MS Word or PowerPoint attachments