[Pw_forum] Installing QE 4.0.5 on Mac Pro

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Thu May 28 12:29:17 CEST 2009

Cristian Degli Esposti Boschi wrote:
>  >As you pointed this out I checked my config.log and I see the same
>  >warning when compiling
>  >with ifort/icc, but it seems to make no harm at the end. Maybe the
>  >problem is in the GCC
>  >compiler (I suppose you're using gcc, am I right?). Which version are
>  >you using?
>

> gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5490)
> [others available 4.3.3 (GCC) and gcc 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5566)]

Have you tried with 4.3.x for instance (not Apple build)? There should be also 4.4.x
available.
Anyway, if you really want to do big calculations on a Mac with Intel CPU, I strongly
suggest to use ifort/icc (for simple tests on pw.x I found that the speed-up can be huge).
It is not free for Mac, but you can buy student/academic licenses (I bought a student
suite for 40 euros, with ifort, icc, mkl, idb, ipp, ... all included).

GS

--

| Gabriele Sclauzero, PhD Student                  |