[Pw_forum] Hartree-Fock calculation

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Wed May 13 07:46:42 CEST 2009

Hi All. In my understanding, "Hartree-Fock calculation" refers to the
level of theory, and not to any specific basis set used to implement
it. You can have "Hartree-Fock" with plane waves, "DFT" with
gaussians, the first coded by a chemist, the latter by a physicist, or
any sensible permutation. Hybrid-functional calculations, although
strictly speking DFT, are technically very close to HF calculations,
in the sense that any hybrid-functional code can easily produce HF
results with whateve basis set it can use. All in all, PWscf can be
used to perform HF calculations using plane waves as a basis set. I
would agree arguing that PWs are probably not the most efficient basis
set to implement non-locaal (Fock) exchange. Cheers - SB

On May 12, 2009, at 10:24 PM, Axel Kohlmeyer wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 22:11 +0200, Stefano de Gironcoli wrote:
>> mohaddeseh abbasnejad wrote:
>>> Dear Axel,
>>>
>>> Honestly I heard it from one of my colleagues. In order to him, it's
>>> under test. He just knew about it and nothing more.
>>
>> indeed ... read example/EXX_example/README
>
> ciao stefano,
>
> well, i'd like to argue that a hybrid DFT calculation is not what
> people typically understand under a "hartree fock" calculation, i.e.
> something similar to what "traditional" quantum chemistry codes like
> gamess, gaussian, q-chem, and so on do using local basis sets.
>

> cheers,
>   axel.
>

>> Stefano de Gironcoli - SISSA and DEMOCRITOS
>>

>>> Yours,
>>> Mohaddeseh
>>>

>>> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:25 PM, Axel Kohlmeyer
>>> <akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu <mailto:akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu>>
>>> wrote:

>>>    PWSCF
>>>
>>>    dear mohaddeseh,
>>>
>>>    please explain where you get this impression from.

>>>    no.

>>>    cheers,
>>>      axel.

>>>    --
>>>
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> ====================================================================
>>>    Axel Kohlmeyer   akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
>>>    <mailto:akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu>   http://www.cmm.upenn.edu
>>>    <http://www.cmm.upenn.edu/>
>>>      Center for Molecular Modeling   --   University of Pennsylvania
>>>    Department of Chemistry, 231 S.34th Street, Philadelphia, PA
>>>    19104-6323
>>>    tel: 1-215-898-1582,  fax: 1-215-573-6233,  office-tel:
>>> 1-215-898-5425
>>>
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Mohaddeseh Abbasnejad,
>>> Room No. 323, Department of Physics,
>>> University of Tehran, North Karegar Ave.,
>>> Tehran, P.O. Box: 14395-547- IRAN
>>> Tel. No.: +98 21 6111 8634  & Fax No.: +98 21 8800 4781
>>> Cellphone: +989177317514
>>> E-Mail:     m.abbasnejad at gmail.com <mailto:m.abbasnejad at gmail.com>
>>> Website:  http://physics.ut.ac.ir

> =
> Axel Kohlmeyer   akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu   http://
> www.cmm.upenn.edu
>   Center for Molecular Modeling   --   University of Pennsylvania
> Department of Chemistry, 231 S.34th Street, Philadelphia, PA
> 19104-6323
> tel: 1-215-898-1582,  fax: 1-215-573-6233,  office-tel: 1-215-898-5425
> =

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
http://stefano.baroni.me [+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) /
stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
de la pensée - Jean Piaget