[Pw_forum] monoclinic cell definition question

Michael Mehl rcjhawk at gmail.com
Wed May 13 02:40:41 CEST 2009

Ah, but if you do that you'll have a left-handed coordinate system
instead of a right-handed one.

To convert from "unique axis c" coordinates to "unique axis b"
coordinates, and simultaneously maintain the handedness of the primitive
vectors, take

a -> c
b -> a
c -> b

alpha -> gamma
beta  -> alpha
gamma -> beta

HOWEVER:  If you are in a base-centered monoclinic lattice,
complications can ensue.  In that case, study the various options in the
space group tables, and be very, very, careful, making sure that you
have the chosen the correct vectors to define the base in relation to
the unique axis.

A large number of the errors in the Lattice pages are because I wasn't
careful about this.

--
Michael Mehl
Naval Research Laboratory, Washington DC