[Pw_forum] monoclinic cell definition question

Xenia Filip xenia at itim-cj.ro
Tue May 12 10:36:43 CEST 2009

I have the same problem recently and due to a monoclinic cell I realize
that I introduce in a wrong manner the coordinates of atoms and cell
parameters in the input file. I admit that I didn't read carefully the
INPUT_PW.txt file. Due to the discrepancy you talk I think that is not
correct to take (x,y,z), (a,b,c) and (alpha, beta, gamma) from a *.cif
file and put them on the same order in *scf.in file. I talk about the
convention used in *.cif files with somebody which is doing X Ray
Crystalography and if he has right the "b" axis in *.cif I think it
correspond to "c" axis in *.scf.in. That means that it needs to permute
(a,b,c) in (c,a,b), (x,y,z) in (z,x,y), (alpha, beta, gamma) in (gamma,
alpha, beta). I am not expert in doing such calculation, I am interest
just in chemical shift calculations (I'm doing NMR), and unfortunatelly I
didn't succed yet to verify this. I am running now some test but it take
some time (I do not have strong computers).
I'm not sure if my ideea is correct but you can think at this posibility too.

Dr. Xenia Filip
National Institute for R&D of
Isotopic and Molecular Technologies
Cluj 400293, Romania