[Pw_forum] ion relaxation

Giovanni Cantele Giovanni.Cantele at na.infn.it
Mon May 11 11:38:57 CEST 2009

mohaddeseh abbasnejad wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> After doing ion relaxation for Si, I received such an error and the
> program stopped:
> "convergence NOT achieved after 100 iterations: stopping"
> Would you please help me?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Yours,
> Mohaddeseh

> Mohaddeseh Abbasnejad,
> Room No. 323, Department of Physics,
> University of Tehran, North Karegar Ave.,
> Tehran, P.O. Box: 14395-547- IRAN
> Tel. No.: +98 21 6111 8634  & Fax No.: +98 21 8800 4781
> Cellphone: +989177317514
> E-Mail:     m.abbasnejad at gmail.com <mailto:m.abbasnejad at gmail.com>
> Website:  http://physics.ut.ac.ir

                            By default the relaxation run stops either
if convergence has been achieved or  if the total number of ionic +
electronics steps exceeds nstep.

Usually, the default nstep is sufficient to obtain convergence on ion
relaxation.

What to do?

i) try to increase nstep, just to see if your system needs more steps to
converge (possibly, you can restart your previous run, so you'll not
loose what done until now!)

ii) check your starting config., if "too unphysical" or far from the
final configuration the code might require a very large number of steps
to converge

iii) more hints in the link below:

http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wiki/index.php/Troubleshooting_(PWscf)#structural_optimization_is_slow_or_does_not_converge

Giovanni

--

Dr. Giovanni Cantele
Coherentia CNR-INFM and Dipartimento di Scienze Fisiche
E-mail: giovanni.cantele at cnr.it
        giovanni.cantele at na.infn.it
Web: http://people.na.infn.it/~cantele
Research Group: http://www.nanomat.unina.it