[Pw_forum] dos

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Fri May 8 22:03:23 CEST 2009

On May 8, 2009, at 5:55 PM, Axel Kohlmeyer wrote:

> particularly the notion of anti-bonding MOs worries me. those tend
> to have restricted meaning in pseudopotential DFT calculations to
> begin with.

well, it depends. I guess that the antibonding combination of atomic
arbitals that ar occupied in the atomic ground state is not any worse
than the lbonding combination ... surely, linear combinations of
atomic orbitals that are not occupied in the atomic ground state
begome less and less meaningful as the enrgy grows large.

> in any case one has to be well aware of the fact, that the molecular
> wavefunction that the DOS are projected on is to a significant degree
> arbitrarily chosen and it is based on an assumption of non-interacting
> molecules.

not differently of how atomic pdos are based on the assumption of non-
interacting atoms. actually, it is preciseley for assessing the
deviation from a non-interacting atom situation that the atomic pdos
are most useful ...

creers - S.

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
http://stefano.baroni.me [+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) /
stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
de la pensée - Jean Piaget