[Pw_forum] submits jobs to node already in use

Jonas Baltrusaitis jasius_1 at yahoo.com
Wed May 6 02:30:51 CEST 2009

Funny story, if I submit any job with mpiexec -n 4 -machinefile /../pw.x -rmpool 0 -nodes 1 -procs 4 via PBS to a 4 core processor I can't see the exact number of cores running, e.g. with qstat -n I see only    compute-0-1/0, instead of usual compute-0-1/0, compute-0-1/1, compute-0-1/2, compute-0-1/4.

It gets even worse if I want to submit any other pwscf job to my 16 node cluster. It get's submitted to exactly the same node, e.g. I run 8 processes on a 4 core node and obviously no performance

I inquired at Rocks forum, they claim it must be related with how Q-E submits jobs. Has anybody seen that before?

Jonas Baltrusaitis
University of Iowa